Wednesday, February 14, 2007

An independent?


MR B.S. WYATT (Victoria Park) [4.35 pm]: I do not propose to speak for a great length of time. I will make a few points simply because of the public feedback that I, like all members of Parliament, have received. What surprised me initially about the Daylight Saving (No. 2) Bill 2006 is the response that I have received from members of my electorate and from people all over the state. It is quite clear from the many e-mails that we have all received that this bill has a personal impact on everybody. Every time I have spoken to somebody, I have been given different views. I note that the member for Mindarie referred to different family members who have different views. I have been quite heavily pressured by my mother to vote against this bill.

Mr G. Woodhams: Your mother cares for you.

Mr B.S. WYATT: She does care for me.

Mr D.F. Barron-Sullivan: I hope she lives in the electorate.

Mr B.S. WYATT: She does live in the electorate and, like 2 000 other people who live in the electorate, will not be voting for me again if I support this bill. However, I do not think she voted for me the first time. That is perhaps not a loss. However, I will be voting in support of this bill.

Ms K. Hodson-Thomas: Shall we send her a copy of your speech?

Mr B.S. WYATT: She will be reading it. This bill does have some significance for the people of Victoria Park. The last three referendums on daylight saving have been relatively close.

Dr K.D. Hames: What does your dad think?

Mr B.S. WYATT: He supports me whatever I do.


Subject: Daylight Saving Bill (no. 2) 2006 [Legislative Assembly - Standing Orders -- Suspension]

Date: 31 October 2006

Hansard reference: pp. 7886b - 7952a [online (pdf)]

No comments: