Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Not caned but able


Hon FRANK HOUGH: [...] A perpetrator does not wake up one morning and say “I am going to be a thief because I need the money”. Most perpetrators have probably come through school having nicked things. If I got out earlier enough I used to go through everyone’s school bags at lunchtime because mum would give me only vegemite sandwiches. If someone had ham and cheese sandwiches I used to grab them and replace them with my vegemite sandwiches. I am a justice of the peace. I do not even have a traffic charge recorded against my name. I do not have a criminal record. I thought I would tell members that.

Several members interjected.

Hon FRANK HOUGH: If I have to do time for that vegemite sandwich, so be it! If I am sent forth to get one lash of the cane for what I did at school, I am prepared to accept it.

Hon John Fischer: I believe the President of the Parliament probably has the power to act on that!

The PRESIDENT: Order! I am sure we have a committee to deal with such a matter.


Subject: Convicted Offenders, Corporal Punishment [Legislative Council - Motion]

Date: 11 June 2003

Hansard reference: pp. 8558b - 8563a [online (pdf)]

No comments: