Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Straight to video sequel

following on from this...


HON B.K. DONALDSON (Agricultural) [12.03 pm]: [...] I was somewhat amused the other day when the President gave a small commercial to inform members, quite rightly, of the videotapes of members’ speeches that are available at a cost of $22. My imagination started to run fairly wild, and I wondered whether in years to come a pattern would emerge in this House with the President announcing the daily specials from the dining room, the souvenir shop and possibly even from the bar in the form of packaged wines and beers. However, heaven forbid, my imagination went even wilder -

The PRESIDENT: Steady, member, steady!

Hon B.K. DONALDSON: I wondered whether we would see the day when the President would interrupt the debate at the end of an hour and say, “This hour has been proudly supported by so and so”; and I thought of Joe Bloggs’ hot air balloon safaris, for argument’s sake. The mind really boggles at what we might see one day.

Hon N.D. Griffiths: I might order a videotape of this speech.

Hon B.K. DONALDSON: It even goes further. We might have a situation like the one with Australian Football League teams and everyone else who goes onto a sporting ground these days, where we cannot see their uniforms because of all the logos of the companies that sponsor them. I guess it would never come to that, but it did give me food for thought.


Subject: Address-in-Reply [Legislative Council - Motion]

Date: 28 June 2001

Hansard reference: pp. 1530 [online (pdf)]

No comments: