Sunday, January 28, 2007

Why do we always come here?


MR T. BUSWELL (Vasse - Deputy Leader of the Opposition) [7.08 pm]: I will be leading the opposition’s contribution to the debate on the Stamp Amendment Bill 2006, which I am sure the Treasurer is happy about. It is the opposition’s intention to support this bill. I am sure the Treasurer has noted that I am always very happy to be supportive of legislation that I think is in the public interest for a variety of reasons. I do believe that this is a case in point.

Mr P.B. Watson: Put your notes together in the car, did you?

Mr T. BUSWELL: I put my notes together in a hurry. The one difference between members on this side of the house and the member for Albany luxuriating on the government back benches is that we make a contribution to debates in this place. Every time I look over at the two members sitting opposite, it reminds me of something. I will ask my colleagues to take a step back in time to The Muppet Show, from which they may remember the two characters, Statler and Waldorf, who sat in a balcony. If they were not modelled on the two members opposite, I will take a long walk and a long leap into a very hot place! I hear them make inane comments that provide an interesting insight into their cranial activity. Every time they open their mouths we understand fully that their cranium represents the perfect definition of a vacuum; nonetheless, they are two nice gents.

The ACTING SPEAKER (Mrs J. Hughes): Can we get back to matters at hand please.

Mr T. BUSWELL: I am frantically searching for my notes but I can continue without them.

[...]

Mr E.S. Ripper: I get the feeling that you and I could do a deal on retail trading hours. Is that possible?

Mr T. BUSWELL: My portfolio responsibilities merely extend to taxation and government expenditure. Competition reform is not in my portfolio area of responsibilities. Unfortunately, I am precluded from discussing it with the Treasurer.

Mr E.S. Ripper: Who is responsible?

Mr T. BUSWELL: I will find out and let the Treasurer know.

Mr P.B. Watson: Talking about numbers, you’d be Miss Piggy.

Mr T. BUSWELL: It is lovely to see Statler again. Look at Statler and Waldorf!


Subject: Stamp Amendment Bill 2006 [Legislative Assembly - Second Reading]

Date: 21 November 2006

Hansard reference: pp. 8485d - 8497a [online (pdf)]

No comments: